The Modern Diaspora a series...episode 1.

Crossing the threshold into the New Year, I wanted to share more stories of some young, talented, and recently transplanted Greeks living, creating and thriving in New York. We all have a reason for being here, and we all have come from different backgrounds and situations. Some left because they had no choice,  some left to study and never went back, some left because their lives had come to a standstill in Greece, because of the financial crisis and they desperately needed a new vision.  We are here,  we've moved from our homes,  our comfort zone our familiar and our settled lives, and made new homes from the beginning.

For those thinking that New York is the land of opportunity... well for some it may be for many not so much and its been a strange trip for all of us.
We moved to this crazy glorious city, all of us have created a new chapter and a life here. This is our story. I will certainly start with mine soon as many don't know how I first came to New York in the first place. But for now I will explore and reveal many stories of fellow "New" New Yorkers.


Till then... Our lives continue and we are home.


Happy New Year. To all my dear friends and loved ones far away. I miss you dearly. I think of you always,  I wonder about our lives and what will happen next, but most of all I'm so filled with hope. I am happier this year than I was last year, I am surrounded by interesting, loving people who have wonderful stories to tell. I crave to explore this city and this country every chance I get.

I miss many things about Greece and especially during the holidays,  but most of all I miss touching my best friend's hand when I speak with her about my experiences, I miss drinking a fresh cup of Greek coffee with a little sugar and a home made cookie in front of my grandmother's porch in Maroussi,  and I miss the smell of the sea near my house in Mykonos... but alas... here, here we all are making new memories, smelling new aromas and touching the hands of new friends as we embrace in this new life.


Στον Επόμενο Χρόνο Με αγάπη, τρανή, δυνατή και ταξιδιάρα.


Αφιερωμένο αποκλειστικά στους φίλους Ξέρετε ποιοι είστε.


Going Home--Asgeir Trausti








Comments

  1. Your Greek friends are here missing you and wishing you wonderful new chapters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. καλή χρονιά dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Home is where New York is...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Diaspora Diaries Vol. 2 A look back in time.

It's My Pleasure-- a declaration of mutual understanding.