Lou, Love, and Looking Different....

October 28th, 2013


It's been a very rough couple of weeks here in New York,  I have been moving around from place to place, no real home, and in constant search of some proper fulfilling and steady work to support myself. On the other hand I'm convinced, there is some purpose to this nomadic life that I've chosen. Or has it chosen me? Either way, I am learning a lot about resilience and perseverance.

Some amazing friends have become pillars in this shaky new life, while helping and supporting me in so many wonderful ways. I know that any struggle that I may face, is worthwhile. It was a shock to the system having to look at myself in a new light after being in a haze of balancing my existence half here and half back in Greece, talking daily with people in Athens.

I had to make a choice and look at things differently if I was to make the most of this. Homeless yes, jobless yes but not with out the energy and the means to make something interesting happen! It will make for good stories in the end, So here's to looking different inside and out.

The songs are coming back the ones that we all know the ones that we all love.... almost into one big song.

"Hey Sweet Jane it's just a perfect day to take a walk on the wild side, while I'm waiting for my man."


I was sitting in a cafe with a dear friend after a lovely Sunday afternoon walk in Union Square, when I heard Lou Reed, of the Velvet Underground passed away October 27th, 2013 at the age of 71. It affected me in a way I wasn't prepared for. Lou, Bob, Patti and Jethro Tull, The Stones, The Beatles, I grew up with these guys, they were my parents friends, they rocked like no other could, and in the age of music reality shows and superficial music making, I was taken aback at yet another loss in the music world.

Its a like a lost love, you contemplate the good and bad things you shared with a person you were in love with, someone you gave your heart to, someone you opened up to, who no longer is in your life. You say good bye, you play one of your favorite songs that remind you of them and you say a sweet farewell.

Lou Reed, of the Velvet Underground passed away October 27th, 2013 at the age of 71

I recalled the first time I met him, back in 1999. I was working at the Brooklyn Academy of Music, he was picking up tickets for a show that night, I said hello and I shook his hand. I told him he was a hero of mine and he was kind enough and humble enough to say thanks. I was young impressionable, scared and star struck, but my idols were unusual back then as they are now. Isabella Rossellini, Michael Baryshnikov, Natalia Makarova, Laurie Anderson, the list goes on I was not your typical 20 something.

After learning of his passing,  I went home and put on his music. I paid attention to the lyrics again I listened to his husky voice and let him take me for a ride on the Velvet Underground.  I hope he's rockin wherever he is.... have a nice trip Lou, thank you for the music.


Comments

  1. Great music makes the world go round! Rest In Peace , Lou Reed!
    Thank you Eleana for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember meeting you back then, strange little girl, full of enthusiasme.this greek word in you, that has unfathomable depth and I 'm happy to see you carrying it wherever you are.much love sis


    enthusiasm (n.) Look up enthusiasm at Dictionary.com
    c.1600, from Middle French enthousiasme (16c.) and directly from Late Latin enthusiasmus, from Greek enthousiasmos "divine inspiration," from enthousiazein "be inspired or possessed by a god, be rapt, be in ecstasy," from entheos "divinely inspired, possessed by a god," from en "in" (see en- (2)) + theos "god" (see Thea). Acquired a derogatory sense of "excessive religious emotion" (1650s) under the Puritans; generalized sense of "fervor, zeal" (the main modern sense) is first recorded 1716.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Modern Diaspora a series...episode 1.

Diaspora Diaries Vol. 2 A look back in time.

It's My Pleasure-- a declaration of mutual understanding.