The Other Side of NYC/ The morning After

Its 12.30 am Halloween Night, and I'm out walking a dog for a friend of mine... in Chelsea.

I usually am not up this late…. I keep yogini time. Sleeping at 10pm and waking up in the wee hours of the morning before the sunrise to prepare for daily practice. I don't go out much in the city and certainly not in Chelsea, so this was an experience reminiscent of my teens and early 20s! I've done my fair share of clubbing back in the day, New York, London, Mykonos,  and Athens.

I've had my taste of late night parties in some basement somewhere with crazy music and even crazier outfits. Strong and vibrant memories of the Limelight in 1997 when it was an AMAZING club with music that made your want to dance all night. Yes then god was truly a Dj. It was full of all sorts of people from every walk of life. Gay, strait, transexuals, guys in leather pants and dog collars, women wearing as little as possible, flashy wigs and bright red lipstick. Every expression of creativity and garishness possible. I recall going to  an S&M club in the meatpacking district which has now probably been made into a Luis Vuitton boutique!

I danced the night away in an old boat called the with trans music blaring till 5 am, and yes I danced in a cage at the Limelight…its an experience I will never forget,  yet as I walked down the streets of Chelsea past the clubs and bars, I realized Its just not for me anymore…. and that over the top creativity in clubbing has been replaced with something much less exciting.

I saw young ladies in their skimpy outfits and painfully high heals waiting endlessly in line to get in to the Marquee on 10th Avenue, texting and chatting away on their mobile phones. They seemed so desperate for attention. Guys already half drunk trying to impress the ladies who weren't looking at them but at their said mobile phones trying desperately to catch the attention of another love interest over Instagram or Facebook or twitter….. This theater of see and be seen seemed so outdated to me and way too technologically advanced!

And here I was in my sweat pants and running shoes at 12.30 at night with no make up, walking down what seemed to be a crewel display of need for fun, need for showing off and drunken forced entertainment…. I slowly passed by the bouncers and the desperate patrons waiting to get in to the club that would guarantee their amazing night, and went to bed after having some tea. I'm too old for this life :)

When I woke up the next morning at around 7 and went out for my morning run/walk with my friend's dog, the sight and smells of the night before in the streets and in the air was pungent and overwhelming. The streets reeked of alcohol, the sidewalks littered with used classes stained with lipstick, cigarette butts and feather boas forgotten or dropped the night before.... Walked by a diner where at 10am they were serving breakfast to worn out and hungry clubbers filling their stomachs with greasy grub. My romantic images of the night life in New York have all but remained a memory... but at least we have those. It's 6am I'm up and getting ready for practice again. ohmm shanti :) and rock on


The Marquee club on Halloween night

The Lime light club in it's heyday 
this is my church and god is a dj ....
sadly now a shopping mall ....Novemver 2013.

And a song to bring it all back :)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diaspora Diaries Vol. 2 A look back in time.

The Modern Diaspora a series...episode 1.

It's My Pleasure-- a declaration of mutual understanding.