The street I live in footsteps in the East Village Part. 1

After a long absence many moves and changes and interesting shifts in the journey I'm back to writing again about the many and colorful adventures in the big apple. I must apologize but after seven months of being homeless and living from couch to couch and from spare bed to spare bed thanks to some extremely loving and generous people I finally found a place to call home a steady warm and quiet place to call "la residence" for the time being. I have unpacked my bags, hung my pictures and post cards and put away my suitcases for only a trip or two near by.

It has taken me a while to sit down and start writing about this increasingly interesting neighborhood, because I'm also trying to explore as I go. The story of how I came to know this part of the city started 15 years ago when I first moved to New York after my college studies, to pursue my arts administration career. (now long gone but of course never forgotten)  That first visit to NYC also started my ever growing Yoga love affair. I lived in a sublet of a sublet  of a sublet.... with two cats on east 4th street with a dancer from Greece back in 1999 and now in 2014  I live just a couple blocks away from my old tattered apartment, with a former dancer (and one cat)! The East Village is at its whole vastly different from my last visit here, but  parts of it are almost untouched by time. Arty, subversive, dirty, funky, new, old, retro mingle together in this fine corner of Manhattan proper. Yes its still  THE Village. The one with the crazy tattoo shops and the ground breaking theater groups and the "art stores" selling all sorts of pot smoking paraphernalia, but now add amazing little bistros and cute wine shops and amazing ice cream stores. Its everything one could ever want in a neighborhood and its surprisingly low key and quiet in some of its well chosen corners. So I'll walk down memory lane while I create and view new images of the many streets near my new abode.

A picture is worth a thousand words so here is a little taste of the East Village from the old to the new.

off of 7th street a dress shop surprises after a late night ice cream break 

freaks and phychics just around the corner
where theater history was made in the 70's and 80's La Mama still stands strong 

just off second avenue 


blending of history and modernity second avenue. this ever surprising neighborhood is always alive! 



As I walk to practice at 6am a couple is getting back after a long night out on Sunday morning 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diaspora Diaries Vol. 2 A look back in time.

The Modern Diaspora a series...episode 1.

It's My Pleasure-- a declaration of mutual understanding.