New York reads and tunes--Subway Stories

Recently I boarded the train for work as I do every morning, and instead of burring my head in a book or listening to music, I made a point to observe my fellow train riders, and made a pact. Instead closing my self off like I usually do I would look at the people around me, see what they are doing and reading and listening to. My discovery was not surprising but what I did realize was that New Yorkers use the subway as an extension of their private spaces.

New Yorkers tune out, log out, and block out each other especially on the train. ( at times its really not an option) The train commute lends itself one of three things:  reading,  listening to music and catching up on much needed sleep, (yes I've done all three) yet what always surprises me is what New Yorkers use the trains for on a daily basis. This personal/private/public space has always fascinated me from the first time I lived here back in 1999. Its a microcosm of the world outside and intimate moments in the private world of every New Yorker.

The Make Up session: 

A woman doesn't have time to put on her make up at home so the train becomes her boudoirs. Minutes before her work day begins, she makes sure that every little detail is perfect. No one is noticing or paying any attention at how she partakes in her personal ritual. Putting on make up for many women is a somewhat private dance between ourselves and what we want others to see , yet for whatever reason time, space, a hectic schedule, this task happens on a moving train,  packed with morning commuters. This incident is just another part of train living. The personal becomes public and the public personal as these fine lines are interchangeable and constantly shifting between train stops.
Make Up Session photo by Eleana S. K

The baby feeding and story time:

A young mother is sitting across from me with her baby, and for her its just another time to make sure her she is fed. Little bowls and plastic spoons come out, and feeding time begins on the way to Union Square on the N line. No one is bothered,   no one looks in dismay while this moment between mother and daughter unfolds in full display. The only time maybe she's at peace is on a moving train.

Reading and  morning prayers on the way to work.

I come from the southern tip of Brooklyn where many orthodox Jews call home. On the way to work I see many men and women recite and read their morning Prayers. Its a moment of religious connection and a spiritual sanctuary in a very public crowded space. The Hebrew words are repeated in silence or in a slight whisper and then when done the book of prayers is tucked into their work briefcase or purse.  




As a long day comes to an end... catching up with reading and the News.


reading in style by Eleana K 





Everyone reads or listens to music on the train. Its time well spent especially during a long commute,  but what I've discovered is that people rarely look or listen to each other.  It's  almost like tuning out is the only thing that can keep us going through our day, and these invisible walls come up between people for protection. As they say never ever look a fellow train rider in the eyes, it's just not done. At a time when this city was so dangerous and uncertain on the trains I get the "keep to yourself" and don't look at anyone rule; now things are quite different somewhat safer and more friendly. To be honest the most beautiful smile laugh and communication I've had with a fellow passenger on the train was with a little girl who's addicting laugh a a bright smile got me thinking " we should all be so open and accepting of our fellow travelers" Utopia I know but I'll keep dreaming.  

Till then I'll listen to music and read my book once again as I peak from time to time at my fellow urban travelers. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diaspora Diaries Vol. 2 A look back in time.

The Modern Diaspora a series...episode 1.

It's My Pleasure-- a declaration of mutual understanding.