The Life of The Party the phenomenon of Morning Clubbing





There are many things I pictured myself doing at 6 am in the morning, Yoga, Mediation, or a long run in central park with my favorite dog friend Gabriel, but Morning Clubbing with the Daybreaker Crew wasn't on my list, until this past June.  A dear friend took me to one of their gatherings, and I had no idea what I was up for.  I've been a clubber girl in my youth, dancing like a maniac from 12am to 5am at clubs in Athens, London,  New York (in the 90's) and yes even Mykonos, and I thought,  I'm over that now I'm a serious Yogi,  I don't do that stuff any more,  I'm too old for that now right? Wrong! And not only have I encountered some lovely HAPPY, and bright faces of all ages in these morning dance parties, I've also met some talented musicians, performers, singers, MC's and lovers of all things wacky and different. People who aren't afraid to be bold and daring walking, no strutting on the early morning streets of NYC with boas, loud make up, shinny shoes, lights and costumes, and who aren't faking it.

Despite it looking staged and contrived,  this is quite real and genuine and its the most fun I've had in years. I've seen people from age 6 to 70, practicing yoga at 6am and then dancing their ass off, laughing, sweating, moving to the euphoric rhythm and sharing in a most unique experience, with no boundaries, no fear no pretentiousness, and above all with a very UN-New Yorker bold smile on their faces.

Complete strangers, in one space sharing in the joy of music, rhythm, colour, energy and laughter. It may not be your cup of tea or your style for that matter, but let's be honest... when have you had a group hug with 400 other people in a club or bar lately?  The cast of characters is endless dancers, drummers, Saxophonists, Violinists, aerial performers, fire dancers, breakers, Voguers, and DJ's from all over the US. And the fun isn't over, The Daybreaker crew is about community and support of new and upcoming artists. In a city that's vast, and limitless and in many ways faceless, this great group of mischievous lovers of all things strange and curious make it easy to smile at 6am. And the kicker?? When I walk out on the early morning streets, tired, danced out and ready for my work day I know I'm the lucky one.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diaspora Diaries Vol. 2 A look back in time.

The Modern Diaspora a series...episode 1.

It's My Pleasure-- a declaration of mutual understanding.