3 years of Apples and Blogging

December 1st 2012- December 1st 2015

I remember the anticipation the day I landed in New York on a crisp winter day on December 1st, 2012. It was impossible to know where I would end up, or what would happen but I left the guessing to the soothsayers and the fortune tellers. For lack of better judgement I had no plan, no job, no home but I had loads of stubbornness willpower and excitement. I suppose after three years, of ups and many devastating downs, I'm still here, alive, kicking, teaching yoga to some inspiring and amazing students, practicing, making new friends, learning new things, meeting lovely people and enjoying every amazing, beat, snare, slide and thump that is the ultimate heart beat and Jazz rhythm of NYC.

I'm talking about a love affair that was not certain to succeed or have a happy ending. New York is a tough broad and she made it absolutely clear it me,

"honey I ain't holding your hand, I'm not doing you any favors, and I'm not your mama so suck it up and deal or get the hell out of my kitchen." 

So I'm making a meal for her tonight this amazing woman, man, lover that is New York. Your my lesson learned, my toughest of tough loves, my reminder that NOTHING absolutely nothing should be taken for granted and above all, my air. I breathe you in and I breathe you out and my lungs are filled with excitement, my heart races at the dawn of each day, because each day I get to be, here, and be alive.

This post comes at the revelation of sad tidings from Athens, dear friends suffered loss today in their family, and that saddens me to know I can't be near to soothe their pain, but I'm glad I can still tell them I love them even though we are far apart. That's how I feel this year, I'm far from those I most care about but they are ever present in my heart and mind. I carry my home in my soul no matter where this life may take me.  So as one of my favorite poets C.P Cavafy says...

"As you find yourself on the journey towards Ithaka, hope that your trip is a long one filled with adventure and knowledge." 



I'll drink to that. As I sip a delicious glass of Italian red, I realize that I also started writing this little journal of images, thoughts and revelations just six days before my departure... as an experiment which three years on seems to be my closest companion in my travels.

Σε αυτούς που με ξέρουν καλύτερα απ ότι ξέρω τον εαυτό μου λέω και θυμάμαι... Και πόσο έχουμε αλλάξει και πόσο ίδιοι παραμένουμε. Σ ενα ταξίδι που δεν έχει χαρτογραφηθεί, βρισκόμαστε ανοιχτά στα πέλαγα της ψυχής μας, αιώνιοι αναζητητές, και εξερευνητές. Και σας αφιερώνω το αγαπημένο μου ποίημα που έχει γραφτεί ποτέ για το ταξίδι και την αναζήτηση.

Ιθάκη- Κ.Π Καβάφης
Σα βγεις στον πηγαιμό για την Ιθάκη,
να εύχεσαι νάναι μακρύς ο δρόμος,
γεμάτος περιπέτειες, γεμάτος γνώσεις.
Τους Λαιστρυγόνας και τους Κύκλωπας,
τον θυμωμένο Ποσειδώνα μη φοβάσαι,
τέτοια στον δρόμο σου ποτέ σου δεν θα βρεις,
αν μέν’ η σκέψις σου υψηλή, αν εκλεκτή
συγκίνησις το πνεύμα και το σώμα σου αγγίζει.
Τους Λαιστρυγόνας και τους Κύκλωπας,
τον άγριο Ποσειδώνα δεν θα συναντήσεις,
αν δεν τους κουβανείς μες στην ψυχή σου,
αν η ψυχή σου δεν τους στήνει εμπρός σου.

Να εύχεσαι νάναι μακρύς ο δρόμος.
Πολλά τα καλοκαιρινά πρωιά να είναι
που με τι ευχαρίστησι, με τι χαρά
θα μπαίνεις σε λιμένας πρωτοειδωμένους·
να σταματήσεις σ’ εμπορεία Φοινικικά,
και τες καλές πραγμάτειες ν’ αποκτήσεις,
σεντέφια και κοράλλια, κεχριμπάρια κ’ έβενους,
και ηδονικά μυρωδικά κάθε λογής,
όσο μπορείς πιο άφθονα ηδονικά μυρωδικά·
σε πόλεις Aιγυπτιακές πολλές να πας,
να μάθεις και να μάθεις απ’ τους σπουδασμένους.

Πάντα στον νου σου νάχεις την Ιθάκη.
Το φθάσιμον εκεί είν’ ο προορισμός σου.
Aλλά μη βιάζεις το ταξείδι διόλου.
Καλλίτερα χρόνια πολλά να διαρκέσει·
και γέρος πια ν’ αράξεις στο νησί,
πλούσιος με όσα κέρδισες στον δρόμο,
μη προσδοκώντας πλούτη να σε δώσει η Ιθάκη.

Η Ιθάκη σ’ έδωσε τ’ ωραίο ταξείδι.
Χωρίς αυτήν δεν θάβγαινες στον δρόμο.
Άλλα δεν έχει να σε δώσει πια.

Κι αν πτωχική την βρεις, η Ιθάκη δεν σε γέλασε.
Έτσι σοφός που έγινες, με τόση πείρα,
ήδη θα το κατάλαβες η Ιθάκες τι σημαίνουν. 

In closing I must ad... you lift me to the heavens New York and you gave me a new perspective on life. I guess you and I are a good match. Te quiero Nueva York your craziness and all.

Here's a song for you to enjoy this first week of December.





Comments

  1. between mother-land and πατρί-δα, you are the same graceful being I met years ago, and not the same. my quantum friend Eleanna I wish you all the best, you deserve it <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dearest Friend Christina. I'm only as good as the last word of the last sentence and I intend to keep writing my story as long as I can. I thank you for your friendship over these past 17 (!) years :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Modern Diaspora a series...episode 1.

Diaspora Diaries Vol. 2 A look back in time.

It's My Pleasure-- a declaration of mutual understanding.