Illusion : an Ode to Passion and Sensuality



New York City A city of many faces many cultures many expressions, many rhythms, yes a city many things and countless accomplishments, but sadly I've found that city of Eros and Agape it is not. It seems closer to a city of mindless, faceless, expressionless, moronic, high school style "hooking up" rather than a sophisticated city of lovers. Did it never grow up? Capitalist, Neurotic, Hyper sexualized, quite sadly alone and self involved. Like a teenager grasping for attention, it's a city overwhelmed with the fallacy of choice. Yes, granted, there are thousands or choices, all you can eat buffet, countless men and women, pick what you like discard what you don't like, but when does that fill the void? A city filled with so many navel gazers who ultimately so desperately want to be seen, loved, understood and heard.

When I first arrived,  I spent the better part of of my first year enjoying close friends, working hard at making New York my home, and relishing in the quietness of not having to deal with drama. There wasn't much time for socializing and I wanted to focus on practicing yoga, finding work and surviving. Having broken that solitude recently, I have to say it has been the equivalent of stepping in a huge fresh pile of steaming cow manure. I'm slowly realizing I live in a city with so very little passion and sensuality its like a cartoon version of reality.

It does baffle how this city promotes this epidermic connection between people. Of course there are endless choices for every fetish and every desire but very little actual deep human connection, and very little awareness of the art of seduction or allowing for spontaneous and beautiful connections. Granted I'm in a very cynical mood but also a realistic one. Romantic at heart, cynical lately, and without much choice in the matter, and seeing things as black and white hasn't helped much in this faceless metropolis. Coming from the land of Eros, I've come to discover its not apparent to everyone and not present everywhere. 

In Ancient Greece there were 6 expressions or types of love, different types of love for different types of human connection. Eros- Έρως (Passionate Love, Erotic Intimate Love) , Philia- Φιλία (friendship), Ludus (playful love, flirtation), Agape- Αγάπη ( Love for everyone/ a selfless love), Pragma- Πράγμα (Long Standing Love/ love expressed over time), Philaftia- Φιλαυτία. ( Self Love/ Self Acceptance also expressed in a negative way as Narcissism)

Eros being the expression of passionate/sensual love, is something that has no word in the English Language, clearly because its devoid of meaning. Being In Love and Loving someone is the only distinction that the English Language provides but that is not EROS. That being said Eros can also be destructive, possessive and hedonistic. It has no logic, its erratic, its all engrossing, it makes you sick with jealousy, rage and passion. But its also beautiful, exciting and an ultimate expression of intimacy.  

The more I look the more I see expressions of Philaftia (self love / Narcissism) rather than actual intimate sharing between lovers. Its become a selfie worthy generation, showing how hot couples look to others, rather than what's really happening in their hearts, minds, souls and bodies that can't possibly be expressed in a picture. If you didn't take a picture of it it didn't happen! More and more people hiding behind masks, creating false personas and throwing one liners rather than being true, real and honest. There is a shortage of seduction, flirtation, allowing for men to be men and women to be women in any combination that can be expressed. So many are constantly busy with their public image, yet in this crowded over populated city, behind closed doors and in private, what seems to prevail is loneliness. 

What's the point of sharing anything with anyone when ultimately what is received is a glorified hand job or a two minute romp resulting in an insipid grunt followed by a five dollar pizza slice? Sweetheart you've outdone yourself this time! No Merci NY I'll stay home, paint my nails a fiery red, listen to jazz and drink a glass of fine wine. I'm not of course giving up, along with my endless romanticism I have also optimism, stubbornness  and hope that real, honest, beautiful and lasting connections happen everywhere for everyone. So I'll raise my glass tonight and every night, and say cheers to Eros! 

So I leave you with this woman's salute to Eros. For all the passionate expressive, authentic men and women out there here is my offering to you. 


My Ode to Passion and Sensuality :

Now That's what I'm talking about, that first look at your harsh exterior softening with my touch. 
My fingertips feel every pulse and nerve ending. 

The moment you take off your mask and I take off mine.  

The moment you give yourself to someone who's only thought is exploring every curve, and every line. 

The only distance between our bodies is the thin layer of sweat as our temperature rises. 
That second when you truly let go. You breathe my air, and I take in yours. Your smell is like intoxicating perfume. I'm mesmerized by your whispers. 
Lips locking, tongues twisting. Bodies dancing to an ethereal sound.

That's what I'm talking about, that single elated moment when your feeling everything all... 
at once. 
Knowing that your beat your rhythm your percussion your syncopation meets mine it's like fine wine aged to perfection , a morsel of the richest chocolate melting slowly on your tongue.
I'm you and your me...just for a moment we cease to exist we become
one.

You see? That moment, that feeling of euphoric climax, the senses pushing through every pore every cell of your body. Now that's what I'm talking about. 


and a little rhythm to keep you going http://youtu.be/UCuu6B4OMfo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diaspora Diaries Vol. 2 A look back in time.

The Modern Diaspora a series...episode 1.

It's My Pleasure-- a declaration of mutual understanding.