A home on one's Own - Part I

Early morning in New York City is a rare time of day. It's an opportunity to see and be a part of a rare ritual of moving from night into early morning even before everyone else starts their day. This beast of a city moves at a rapid rate at all hours of the day and night but there are those few hours just at the edge of dawn where the city is almost quiet. For the past couple of weeks I've been waking up at 6.00am heading to morning Mysore Ashtanga practice at the Ashtanga Yoga New York studio on Broome street... the studio is run by Ashtanga Yoga veteran teacher Eddie Stern. He along with his wife and a team of lovely assistants have been my yoga family since the first week of my arrival here in the city back in December.

Every yoga student needs a yoga family and since I've been here they have been my yoga family. Now that I walk in the studio I see some of the same people every day doing their Asana practice and in a rare moment of coming in to the studio at 6 am I witnessed a chanting session in circle... reminiscent of the days when Pattabhi Jois used to teach in Mysore India. Guruji's pictures adorn the whole studio and its a rare moment to be among the images of our Guru our teacher.  For those who had the privilege to meet him, he was a striking figure and a moving teacher.

Walking in every morning... putting down my mat and starting my Asana practice is a rare gift, its a panacea to the craziness and fast rhythm of this city and to the constant chatter... here in this beautiful space full of flowers, lovely images of Ganesha and pictures of Pattabhi Jois in his youth practicing his poses... there is a sense of belonging and silence.

This is for my new yoga family.... I thank you for embracing another yoga traveler.

The Cinematic Orchestra- To Build A Home







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diaspora Diaries Vol. 2 A look back in time.

The Modern Diaspora a series...episode 1.

It's My Pleasure-- a declaration of mutual understanding.