A home of one's own Part II Filoxenia/ Gratitude

Filoxenia /Gratitude φιλοξενία / ευγνωμοσύνη 


I have now been in New York for three months, and after many weeks of searching, I have finally found my little corner of the city to call home...What one may call a room of one's own. 

When looking back at the past three months the generosity the open hearts, the open homes, and the care I have received from my friends here in the city has been the corner stone and building block of my new life here. It brings me to tears to realize that without these wonderful and amazing people I would not have been able to survive let alone get a start in this new path. There are old friends who have opened their homes, supporting me in this effort by reassuring me while lending an encouraging word at moments of doubt, and new friends who have helped me in small and big ways from helping me find work, to looking for a home and listening to my rants in order to keep me sane and focused on my goal of transition. I don't know how I could possibly repay them. 

The shelter, the support, the love and the reassurance has been a boundless gift, one I have no other way to repay but to recognize their generosity every change I get. I can only return the favor with making sure I can offer all this to some other newcomer to this vast metropolis with the same filoxenia* ( a Greek word for befriending and taking in a stranger in to your home and offering them shelter) 

Filoxenia can loosely be translated as hospitality but the word itself is so much deeper and stronger in meaning. It is making a friend and offering love, to a stranger. Offering shelter to someone you may not even know to give them warmth from the storm and solace in their travels... 
Hospitality (etymology to befriend (= love) + stranger) refers to the practice of nursing and care of a stranger in one's home.
It was the ancient institution to receive and care of strangers in their home. Thought especially the idea of hospitality and felt a moral obligation and a sacred rule of the gods (Zeus Xenios protector). Hence foreigners, were sent by the gods, and considered sacred persons, to be honored and respected.
This has been offered by two amazing couples, who with such love have opened their homes to me over the last few years but most recently gave me shelter from the storm and a place I could call home until I was able to find my own. 
 Because of their generosity and hospitality I think of them as my family my New York family...yet they are not alone. From my oldest friends in NYC who have been there for me every step of the way to my most recent new friends in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens ( you know who you are!) I feel truly blessed, and with every passing day offer my gratitude to them and offer them this pledge :

I will open my doors to a stranger to offer them shelter when they need it and will give them the love, support and care they need to stand on their own. Lessen their burden and during their travels and offer them solace during their path. 

Thank you/ Ευχαριστώ

Eleana 

Comments

  1. All the very best Eleana ! and what a great start with such a bless from all these people...but i think mostly done by you that you didn't allow your heart to close and lose the faith in you, to ask and receive what you want in this new startover! i;m with you and everyone that likes to walk fully hearted !!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Diaspora Diaries Vol. 2 A look back in time.

The Modern Diaspora a series...episode 1.

It's My Pleasure-- a declaration of mutual understanding.