Cakes and Dog Parks... my New York Rant

Cakes and Dog Parks.....my new york rant


My latest journey in to the world of employment in New York City ever since my return in September was an interview at a east village bakery. I went on a whim and applied for the simplest job skill wise that I've had since college. I went into the bakery today dressed as well as I could for a customer service position and spoke to the manager who was at least 10 years younger than me and probably paying for grad school with this job. I don't mean to be bitter or coy but hear me out. I have been unemployed,  or how the tough as nails- look good even though you feel like shit crowd say- between jobs for two months now, and I have found myself in the dilemma of why I came into this city in the first place. I left Greece to make a new start... yes I never thought it would be easy but now its entering its eleventh month of humbling me into wondering how low can one go?  I've discovered many wonderful things about this grand city but also many unsettling things as well. The service industry here is the lowest most under appreciated in the whole world yet... the whole city runs on it. Every waiter/ waitress, bus boy, check out person, door man, dog walker (yes I've done that too!) is there to serve and not complain ever and do their job no matter what... Under paid no insurance and well if you don't like it... take a walk, hike, ride, there's the door.... yet THE SERVICE INDUSTRY RUNS NEW YORK CITY.

I walk into a very well known coffee shop/ gourmet foodie store on Prince street and Broadway from time to time to get a coffee after morning practice at my yoga school, and what I realized the first time I stepped in that establishment back in 1999 and now is that this is a place serving those of privilege and staffed primarily with people of need.  The have nots serving the haves.... and making every effort to not loose their dignity doing it.  I remember writing a poem about it a long time ago if I unearth it I will share in my next blog entry.

And the journey continues for the yogi rabbit in the Big Apple.... I am not sure how much longer I will be here fighting the good fight but I do believe it makes for a good story in the long run....


Peace, prosperity and good looks.... cheers with a glass of very cheap Cote Du Rhone wine from Trader Joe's


Good night on the fullest most beautiful full moon night and an eclipse to add on to that!


YR NYC


Comments

  1. This is brilliant. Tell us more... there is always the other side just a few inches beyond our reach. I'm routing for you every step of the way! Many hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Modern Diaspora a series...episode 1.

Diaspora Diaries Vol. 2 A look back in time.

It's My Pleasure-- a declaration of mutual understanding.