The dirty New York





I'm looking for the dark, dirty streets of New York. The pulse, the rhythm, that beat that makes this city unique. I'm looking for the stories of New York, of its struggles, diversity, artistry and glamour. I'm looking for the gritty, grimy alleys, for the tales once told that reveal this city that everyone wants to see and no one knows about. I want the raw, unfiltered, non airbrushed, unkept New York, the morning after walk of shame in high heels and slightly crooked dress. 

I want the rockers and the dancers, the graffiti artists, the freaks, and the hip hop legends that made this place pop to tell me their stories. 

The traditions, the history and the legends are still thankfully seen in the cracks of the pavement, the murals on the walls, the tagging in the buildings, and hidden in little urban treasures. Yet what I seem to find more and more these days is a polished, "safe" city with less and less flavor. It's not all gone, of course there are pockets left to be discovered and savored, but for the most part its becoming this plastic fantastic pretentious place, and there doesn't seem to be much inspiration in the McDonald's version of this crazy town.



I'm looking for the awkward looks and the adventurous artistic souls, the impromptu sermons in the subway and the killer beats, and sounds on the platforms. That amazing Jazz musician who happened to play Jazz Clubs in Athens, Greece, yet is playing for free in Union Square. That random lady that sings like an angel in the subway platform never to be seen again, or that crazy man screaming at you that god is coming unless you cleanse your soul of your sins.


"I'm eager to hear about the nostalgia, the memories and the old stories that make this place a magnet for magic and mayhem."


The buildings still untouched by big city contractors, full of art, neglect and unpretentious glory. The underground parties where all the artists go to and no one knows about. I'm looking for those nights out where people watching is the best entertainment, and where you see through all the insecurity covered with a mask of glam, panache, day old make up, and cigarette smoke. 







"I'm looking for the dark, dirty streets of New York, The pulse, the rhythm, that beat that makes this city unique." 


Recently I was walking through the Lower East Side the last bastion of cool in this ever gentrified town and I was elated to find small specialty shops, corner stores owned by people you know have been there for years and to my surprise the store owners were coming out to say hi and greeted me as I snapped some pictures.


As dark vast and chaotic as New York can be, there are moments when you still feel like walking through a small village. New Yorkers stick to their neighborhoods and like urban villagers rarely venture out beyond a five block radius, their microcosm in this vast metropolis. 

I invite my readers to share their unique New York moments, old and new from the past to present. I'm eager to hear about the nostalgia, the memories and the old stories that make this place a magnet for magic and mayhem. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diaspora Diaries Vol. 2 A look back in time.

The Modern Diaspora a series...episode 1.

It's My Pleasure-- a declaration of mutual understanding.