Footsteps in Prospect Park

Brooklyn New York.... 6 am waking up for  my first practice here and its cold and crisp outside. Feeling a little stiff this morning as my body is still not balanced after traveling 4000 miles from Greece. My hosts are also up and getting ready for work and they are in their morning routines...They have so graciously allowed me to part of the "family" and my stay here has been effortless. I realize I'm part of the city slowly integrating myself to its rhythms, as I walk down the local subway station to take the Q train to my morning yoga practice. New Yorkers are very into their programs and routines, they have their morning coffee from the same coffee stand every morning, they read their book on an electronic device to keep to themselves on the subway and for the most part its like a choreographed dance... Every now and then, that choreography is interrupted by single events, noises, people shouting their own frustrations in the street... but then again as usual the rhythms come back to the same groove....  at 7.00 am I got to the studio and opened the door as everyone was silently moving through their practice. I moved myself into a spot with a loaned mat and like I was always supposed to be there started to move slowly through my first sun salutation...

After a very long (or so it seemed) relaxation after practice I rolled up my mat and went for my morning coffee around the corner to a place called the Annex.... locals come in and out took their usual order to work with them, ate their scones or muffins on the go and I sat observing conversations, people and images going by.  Overall a good first practice... :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Modern Diaspora a series...episode 1.

Diaspora Diaries Vol. 2 A look back in time.

It's My Pleasure-- a declaration of mutual understanding.