The trip and the arrival to the Big Apple


Waking up in this lovely City....

Its a beautiful Monday morning in New York City.... The Sun is shining bright and although its December the weather is surprisingly mild for the season. The plane ride from Zurich was lovely, I was sitting next to a young bride from India who had just gotten back from Mumbai where she had spend two weeks of celebrations for her nuptials. She had some lovely henna designs on her hands as its traditional for brides to have on the day of their wedding.... We spoke about moving away from the people we love and about travel, she was sad to be away from her new husband who had stayed back in Mumbai and was to travel back to New York to meet with her later in the week.  She was some great company on a bit of a lonely trip. As I arrived in New York and got my luggage... (the last coming off the plane!) my heart was racing and happy. I called my friend Carrie who greeted me with such a wide smile on the elevator or her home, and came in to find a bowl of amazing hearty soup that her friend Liz had made,  and a glass of red wine waiting for me. It was like coming home... it felt right, it felt familiar and it felt good to be here. I am still grappling with emotions and with thoughts of this transition but so so happy to be here with friends and to have the well wishing of so many people in Athens to keep my spirits up. Yesterday evening despite the fact I was exhausted I went to a gathering with my friends in a gorgeous old home in s.Brooklyn in a predominantly orthodox Jewish neighborhood. The gathering was organized by young women for young women and it felt lovely to be there. We came home exhausted but happy and ready to sleep soundly in my "new" bed and home.  Looking forward to another day ahead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Modern Diaspora a series...episode 1.

Diaspora Diaries Vol. 2 A look back in time.

It's My Pleasure-- a declaration of mutual understanding.